Sunday 8 June 2014

All Change...

Not done much model railways stuff  since the last blog update, and to be honest I've sort of lost interest in it all. With both British major manufactures announcing huge price hikes this year there's just not going to be the budget for it.  So for now I've cleared the layout down and packed all the stock into boxes and storage crates.

I've been concentrating more on the model kits and 3D computer modelling. The model kit stash has rather ballooned in the wake of packing up buying model railways bits.

Whilst cleaning out a cupboard I dug out a model Harrier kit that my step son's dad bought him a few years back, we started it before we moved out of the old house and into this current house, we had completed most of the actual build and had started on the painting.



Drew's not shown any interest in the ever wanting to finish it, so as now that I've bought an airbrush I thought this would be an ideal guinea pig  kit to  learn on.
I have to say that this kit is not very good quality, the mouldings are worn and don't fit together all that well. The decal sheet is poorly printed and the instructions for where all the various decals go is abysmal.  Not that a few years in storage did the decal sheet a lot of good either, had some of them begin to break up when they were being applied.

I've yet to crack this spraying malarkey where matt and gloss coats are concerned, have to experiment more with the ratios of thinners and additives to the acrylic LifeColor Varnishes.
Though most of my new paints of late have been Tamiya Acrylics, I do really like the LifeColor range, the range of colour is probably only second to Vallejo.

The next kit I'm going to start in on is the Tamiya Mid Production Tiger Tank, I've bought a range of aftermarket upgrades for it, photo etch grills, metal main and machine gun barrels, zimmerit coating sheet and some other small detailing bits including extra crew figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment