Sunday 27 April 2014

Bombs Wrong - well only in larger scales!!!

I joined the Britmodeller forum the other week as they seem to be a very friendly and knowledgeable crowd of guys. http://www.britmodeller.com/
They even had an old thread on the subject of the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs, which I resurrected in my search for more useful diagrams and data. One of the guys eventually pointed me in the direction of  the Hayne Dambusters manual, as this has lots of useful info not only Tallboy and Grand Slam, but the blockbuster "cookie" and Upkeep munitions. Haynes Dam Busters Manual
I bought the wrong book to begin with, I thought there would have been some info in the Haynes Lancaster manual, but alas not a word just lots of regular Lanc munition load outs. At least it was cheap as it was 2nd hand. Haynes Lancaster
Might have to buy a few more of the Haynes Military manuals, never know when you might need to service a Merlin 24, or check the tyre pressures.

Any ways armed with the new books I've gone back to "virtual" drawing board with Grand Slam Designs, my original CAD's were miles off,   fine for my scale of 1:144, but not so good as larger  scale scrutiny. 
A real Grand Slam warhead in a Sheffield Museum
My newly designed warhead

The original shape I drew up.
As can be seen in the above pics the new design is a much closer match shapewise.
Two main difference to note are the rear(bottom) of the warhead is now a lot smaller and rounded, the nose of  warhead is more elongated and has more subtle cure.  Strangely according to the official drawings the rear curvature and the nose are based on the same 92" radius, but without the point of the nose they don't look like the same curve to me.

Alas my original tail design is now too big in diameter at the point where it should connect to the warhead, so that is waiting to be redrawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment